Child Born Or Died During The Year

Child Does Not Have A SSN

IRS FAQ - Newborn child and EIC
Online Taxes OLT Logo Online Taxes - IRS Authorized E-file ProviderOnline Taxes  slogan - Simple fast Secure
Home  |  About Us  |  Products  |  Customer Service  |  States  |  Tax Corner Follow www_OLT_com on Facebook Follow www_OLT_com on Twitter
   Your Return

  Start a New 2013 Tax Return
  Login to My 2013 Tax Return
  Correct My Rejected Return
  Amend A Tax Return
  Prior Year Return
  Status of My Tax Refund

  IRS Tax Forms/Publications
  State Tax Forms/Publications

  What is E-File?
   More Information

  OnLine Taxes State Home Page
  OnLine Taxes Guarantee
  Site Limitations

 New Child and Earned Income Credit
If the child is born in the last week of December, can the child be a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit and how do you file a tax return without a social security number?

Normally, to be your qualifying child, your child must have lived with you for more than half of the tax year. However, if the child fails the residency test because the child was born or died during the year, the child is considered to meet the test if the child lived with you for the entire time he or she was alive during the tax year.

For example, if your child was born on October 1, 2005, and lived with you for the remainder of the year, your child meets the residency test.

If your child does not have a social security number, apply for one by filling out Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration, or call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get a social security number.

If the filing deadline is approaching and you still do not have a social security number, you have two choices.

  1. File the income tax return on time without claiming the Earned Income Credit. After receiving the social security number, file Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, claiming the Earned Income Credit. Attach a completed Form 1040, Schedule EIC (PDF), Earned Income Credit. (this is not recommended)
  2. Request an automatic extension of time to file your return. You can get this extension by filing Form 4868 (PDF), Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can file a paper Form 4868 or you can file it electronically.


IRS Authorized e-File Provider!

TRUSTe online privacy certification
Click for the Business Review of On-Line Taxes, Inc. HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime.


About Us
Privacy Policy
Disclaimer Terms of Use
Online Taxes Guarantee
Site Limitation
Unsubscribe Email

Tax Deadlines
Tax Forms
Tax Publications
Tax Brackets
Tax Rates
Tax News and Blog.