Prepare An Amended Tax Return

Service Fees For Preparation Of An Amended Return

Process of Filing an Amended Return

OnLine Taxes offers 1040X amended returns!

OnLine Taxes Amended Returns! Making Your Life Easier!

Do you need to make a correction or addition to your accepted tax return? Did you leave a W-2 off your tax return? Forget to claim a credit? Did not take a deduction you are entitled to?
You are in LUCK!
OnLine Taxes will help you file amended returns for both your federal and state income tax returns if needed.

OnLine Taxes Amended Return Services
Click on the amended type you are needing and we will list further information for you.

Amended Return Pricing

Amended Return FAQs

Amended - Original Return was filed with OLT
You simply need to login to your OLT ONE account, if you already have one, then visit the appropriate year you are needing to amend, then click on the link on the summary page to amend the return. Sign In to OLT ONE

If you have not yet created an OLT ONE account, please do so. Start OLT ONE account

  • In the account creation process it will guide you through linking in the prior year returns. Once the account is established and the return is linked in the account, you can select to amend the return.

  • You will be taken through your original online interview. Make any changes needed to correct your already filed 1040.

  • When you get to the end of the online interview, you may be asked to enter information as changed by the IRS (If applicable). This will help us compute the Form 1040X for you.

  • Enter the reason for amending your return, then print and mail in your completed amended return forms to the address provided along with any reporting statements supporting the reason for this amended return filing. (ex. W-2, 1099R, Settlement Statement if amending for the First-Time Homebuyer Credit, etc.)

  • We will allow you full access to these forms for 3 years.


Amended - Original Return was not filed with OLT
If you filed your original accepted return with another company or by paper filing and you do not already have an OLT ONE account, please set up an account. Start OLT ONE account

  • You first need to enter the information for your corrected return (or what should have been filed to make an accurate and complete return).

  • Once you have completed the online interview process, you will be shown a list of income, deduction, exemption, etc. amounts from your new 1040 and we will ask you to plug in the information that is listed on the 1040 that you originally filed with the IRS.

  • We will compare the two and complete your Form 1040X for you.

  • Print all forms listed and mail them to the IRS along with any income statements if income was changed in your amended return (or supporting documents for changes in credits).

  • We will allow you access to these forms for 3 years. To login at a later time to view and/or print your amended forms, use the Sign In link


NEW - Amended Return FAQs
  1. Q - Do I need to file an amended tax return?
    A - You only need to file an amended tax return if the original return that was accepted by the IRS and/or State needs to be changed.
    Example # 1: You filed your 1040 to the IRS and it was accepted. The next week you receive another W-2 in the mail. The only way for you to update the originally accepted 1040 with the IRS is to AMEND that tax return and add the income.
    Example # 2: You filed your 1040 to the IRS claiming yourself as an exemption and that return was accepted. You later find that your parents were needing to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. The only way for them to be able to claim your exemption now is if you AMEND your return and choose not to claim your self exemption.

  2. Q - Can amended returns be e-filed?
    A - Amended returns cannot be e-filed. Even if they are amended in the current filing year the only way to amend a tax return is to mail the forms to the IRS for paper processing.

  3. Q - How long do I have to file an amended return?
    A - Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date, and withholding is deemed to be tax paid on the due date. Special rules apply for refund claims relating to net operating losses, foreign tax credits, bad debts, and other issues. For more information, refer to the Instructions for Form 1040-X (PDF)

  4. Q - How long does it take for an amended return to be processed?
    A - An amended return takes 8 to 12 weeks to process by the IRS.

  5. Q - How can I check the status of my amended return?
    A - You must make direct contact with the IRS on the processing of your amended return. On-Line Taxes, Inc. will have no information on the processing of your amended tax return. You may contact the IRS at (800)-829-1040 to check on the processing of your amended return. The IRS processes amended returns as quickly as possible however it may take 8 to 12 weeks for that amended return to be processed.

  6. Q - How do I amend my State tax return?
    A - To amend your State tax return with On-Line Taxes, Inc. first, the Federal return would need to be amended. If the values do not affect the refund or amount due for your Federal return then you do not have to mail the forms to the IRS however, you must still finish this process in order for the inputs/changes to pull forward to your state return. Once you continue through the end of your Federal amended return, we will take you back to the Tax Return Status page. In this page you may now select to AMEND MY RETURN in your State information. Save through and make any changes needed for your state return. Print all the forms and mail them to your state for processing.

If you have any further questions, you may contact our Customer Service for assistance.